Author Topic: Basic training  (Read 6523 times)

CanHasCoW

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
Basic training
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
So I've figured at the end of this year when I finish my Degree in IT: Networking I will apply as a post grade for the Australian Military as an officer.

Just wanted some idea of what exactly I would get getting myself into seeing as the recruiters and the information that was given to me was somewhat "lacking" in general information.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
Re: Basic training
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
more fitness than army/reserve, high level dicipline, regular camps, study and exam style learning, u pretty much grad as a lieutenant or something close, u lead sections/platoons etc which ever the roll is they need or u specifically trained for, the sergeants lead groups or sections etc, they are pretty much the ones that know it all, the officers are the ones that know the text book shit.. like all the stuff that soldiers dont ever worry about or care for, like how to where when rally points etc

my mate is in officer training school right now, ill try get sum more info
Perfectionist.

CanHasCoW

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Sweet cheers for that flat, Like everyone I know is just general entry and cant tell me how it is for post grad.

Soulrogue

• Global Moderator

• =]UG[= Mod

• Personal Text
    Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
Yeah i intend to do the same thing in 2-3 years.

Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.
Gen. George S Patton

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:48:49 AM »
Depends what you want to do in the 'Military' i assume you ment the Army since thats what Flat was talking about. However
I can probably tell you what you want to know about the Navy.

Also Flat only really talked about an Infantry Officer which is a fairly contested if not reasonably rare(because of the number of applicants) job in the Defence force. Because of your qualifications it is unlikely you will be employed in Infantry at all and you can probably look forward to some sort of IT based Officer Job. I'm not Sure what that is in the Army they have Geeks but they are general entry serviceman not oficers. And IT in the Navy is CIS job. You might be looking at a Job in INtel or something similar but who knows. However i Doubt it will be INfantry and if you are infantry you might not even get recognisation for your previous skills unless you used to dig holes and hide behind trees for a living. If you used to wet the bed till a very old age that might qualify you for sniper training as i have heard from Stuchy that they have to get used to doing that sort of thing rather than give away their possie.

However this is all academic the question is also whether you really want to join the Military. Its hard work with sometimes little reward. It is often described as the best decision and the worst decision someone can make in their life. No-one can really understand it till they sign up (this includes snot faced cadets) Look around jobs in the military and make a educated decision dont' let the Recruiters sign you up to just any position as they have a quota they need to fill and your wants come second to that. Its also really important to talk to someone in the Job i dont' know many officers and i don't feel the need to get to know many *gross but ask your recruiter and they can probably send you in the right direction.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:26:25 AM »
ill try get henry to post on here
Perfectionist.

Allighieri

• Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Lance Corporal
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »
I'm personally considering joining the reserve at the end of the year. Looking at rifleman at this point just because it appeals to me (yes I know it's going to be mostly digging holes and hiking). I have another two years of education (one year uni and then one year pre-reg) and once that's finished, depending on what the reserves is like I might think about taking it a bit more seriously.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
Reserves a great idea :D.

Rifleman would be good but i would also probably advise against that. For a few reasons no offence to them but riflemen can tend to be a more simpler creature. In the army its alot different from the Navy in that once your in the Army pretty much everyone is a rifleman. A rifleman trains more frequently as INF and with small arms and therefor becomes more profecient in their field. However even as say a Clerk you still train to be an effective solder first and a clerk second. If you choose one of the many different roles you just become multi functional and multi skilled. For example as a Clerk you only really are a Clerk when your at home at base, you still ride in APC's, dig holes, Fire at Ghosts and hide behind tree's(blugh). My Suggestion would be Engineer(or whatever the soldier version is called) my uncle used to do it in the reserves and he said when he wasn't infantry training he was blowing things up building bridges and learning all that handyman crap.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »
i suggest the light cav, same as infantry but instead of walking and waiting all day, u sit in a LAV or other vehicles get driven to places instead of walking there and get out just to shoot up shit and then u jump back in and drive away....

my house mate changed from infantry to light cav and said it was a wise as choice, even the reg infantry give u the finger as u drive passed in ur lav while they march up the road.
Perfectionist.

Allighieri

• Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Lance Corporal
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
I'd pick rifleman mostly for the experience - at the moment I'm thinking about taking special forces selection when I finish pre-reg, and I'd want to have as much field experience as possible.

As for being something else like a Clerk, I'm already going to be a pharmacist as a day job, I'm doing this because I want to do something else :P.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
Nah Clerk was just an example i hell wouldn't do that job.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:15:21 AM »
commandos arn't too hard to get into if ur looking for special forces
Perfectionist.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 02:25:03 AM »
LOL yes they are.  The advantage to commandos is its less in house than SAS. I know some dudes that failed the
commando fitness test that were some of the fittest dudes i've ever met. If someone has told you that they either were
flat out(lol) lieing or they were just trying to sound tough.

Darksea(And if it was a commando that said that he probably wasn't just sounding tough but is tough)

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »
Yeah just talked to the exCommando dude out on the floor and he told me that 258 people went in for selection for their green beret and only 12 qualified and of those 12 only 3 went on to become sandy's.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 04:01:46 AM »
a dude at my work that used to b there got in and he used to b adicted to speed...

OR SO HE SAYS :P
Perfectionist.