Author Topic: Combat Mission Battle for Normandy  (Read 1998 times)

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
ffffuuuu wrote up a two paragraph piece on this and it didn't post somehow (probably closed it and forgot or something)

Anyway i grabbed this a couple days ago.

Its basically a PR for real time strategy. Its most popular analogue would probably be the old close combat games if anyone has played them, except this series is more painstakingly realistic down to muzzle velocity, trajectory and wind all having an effect on tank rounds, as well as armour thickness, slope and quality on the receiving end. Troops have moral, have limited ammo (which is shared in a squad and shared to nearby squads if they become low). The battle scenario's are fun and it apparently has a very dedicated fan base to provide more content for it through the scenario editor.

Anyway the original Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord goes down as one of my all time favorite games. Particularly memorable was that battle that I played over and over featuring the capture of a town as some American infantry. You are told there will only be light resistance in a town, situated between two hills, one to the southeast, the other to the northwest. You begin with a solid force of about a full company of infantry and five or six sherman (tommycooker) tanks.

Yeah yeah, you'd think, what a piece of piss, as you deployed on the road leading to town. HMG's mortars and tanks what can stop me?

Then you'd click GO! and in the first two minute long turns you'd sit there agast as a Pak 88 about 2km away on the northwest corner of the map opens up and destroys all of your tanks except the one behind the hill on the far southeastern corner. FUCK! you'd think, with only two green and one regular rifle squads in cover on the right side of the road with any chance of taking out that gun (only one or two very low ammo status squads would actually make it up there to bayonette the now ammoless bastard).

The games not particular pretty (but this new one is actually suprisingly good-looking for a game that's really not concerned with graphics), but with a little imagination and patience it is a fucking awesome and harsh game.

Maybs check it out (ive not seen a torrent yet and the $55 i payed was mostly for nostalgia's sake).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:47:28 AM by Nasty »

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
Re: Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »
Oh yeah and i forgot to mention the scale. The "tiny" quickbattle setting features about half to a third of a WW2 rifle company. Im not sure how big the Huge battles are but I'm imagining more than a full Rifle Battalion, with every man in every squad and HQ rendered on field.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
I might give it a go sometime soon. If its better than CoH it would go down as the best ww2 RTs i've played so far.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
where u get it
Perfectionist.

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
STILL no torrent for it.

I bought it from here, and I'm glad I did as I'd still be waiting for a torrent.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=273&Itemid=459

Theres a demo someplace on that website if you wanna have a look.