Author Topic: Urgh  (Read 4231 times)

CanHasCoW

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
Urgh
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Basically my room mate wants to get into PR the issue is he kinda only owns a laptop...

So basically I need to come up with set up for him that will in his words "Make the game look awesome."
Ill get details on price ranges and what not from him when he gets home later today, But I know he wants something that he wont have to upgrade... make me upgrade any time soon.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
Re: Urgh
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
that would be something for nasty to answer, i know cheap ways to get a comp nasty knows expensive ways lol
Perfectionist.

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
For PR if you have cash to burn your probably better off spending your money on a monitor(s, or eyefinity) rather than the hardware. Especially since consoles are keeping most games development stuck in 2005.

However if he's interested in a rapeage cpu and graphics setup for gaming i generally look to toms hardware for advice on price/performance. Unfortunately with pc's upgrading is always inevitable eventually, so buying absolute high end shit (like some stuff i've gotten for my last two systems lol) isn't actually very good value for money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-intel-core-i7-amd-phenom-ii,2926.html

pretty much explains it better than i could.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
flatkings save money tips:
dont by complete packages.

dont by from harvey norman or big companies like that as they charge a huge commission rate and advertising percentage ontop of normal prices look for small time computer shops that is run by computer techs NOT salesmen.

buy parts and put it together urself.

any mobo with lots of ports and options for new and/old.

cpu is usually the most expensive fragile thing so buy that with the mobo and get them to put it on for u to save any risk in damages or incompatibilities, if they put it on they have to fix it if it doesnt work... Intel CPU = cooler and bit less performance but reliable, AMD = high output but runs a bit hotter and will handle alot more than it should but is not as reliable as intel but still very reliable especially in recent days, if u sport alot of cooling features amd is fine(eg. cooler case or lots of fans) and be reasonable when overclocking, not pushed to its max....

buy high end RAM chips all the same frequencies.

look up graphics card benchmarks, find the best of the low range because it might show that its near high end but u save a few hundred dollars so ur not paying for wasted features which only give u like 5% increase in output or something fuck all, also Nvidia cards have always lasted a million times longer then radeon cards and are way more compatible to most things so that is recommended.

theres only 1 soundcard id get if u have to get 1, X-fi crystal 7.1 surround sound card, if its only for gaming u can just get a $80 USB headset with a mic boom on it, and its just as good for gaming, but soundcard will make it sound "cooler" and only sometimes helpful, more bass = less chance in identifying soft frequency sounds.

any PSU that has enough watts to support several upgrades so its above ur system always by alot, but not the biggest most expensive 1 as they can just fault coz their being pushed and pushed so it has less life...

any case that can fit ur chosen mobo, all cases these days are pretty awsome enough so dont waste ur money on a crazy 1.

cheap as a cunt network card if u dont have 1 on ur mobo which u should anyway.

serial SATA cables make life easier for additional HDD's so recommended when buying HDD's, try not to get massive sized hdds as they are less reliable and u loose alot more even when partitioned, 500GB max id get and get like 2 of them instead of 1 terabyte HDD's etc(Seagate recommended as it is proven most reliable in all HDD's ever made and MAXTOR is alot less reliable).

1 DVD burner any type.

this case will almost always be about $800-$1400 so its pretty fucken cheap ass way to get a reliable all round system, when others offer u ALOT less and alot more useless shit for $3000 +++++
anyways thats just case the periphery is basic shit

any keyboard, helps if u have volume controls on it tho, USB preferred.

any mouse that the user finds comfortable, side mouse buttons are a MUST!

any screen that has good ratings, make sure its not a TV and is 100watts or can handle atleast 70hertz, in a fps game it should be able to get 100fps, theres a MASSSIVE difference in player accuracy with 60fps vs 100fps i dont care what any1 says about 30fps being the speed of ur eyes and all that bullshit coz its irelevant, u can put me at a computer and i can just see if its running 60 or 70 hertz and also see if its running 60fps or 100fps just looking at it.. and any player in the world can play on a 60fps setup and then change to a 100fps setup and ud think they have downloaded a aimbot coz they can aim properly all of a sudden, iv seen this about 300 times as ppl upgraded their computers on natural selection from old to new, and thats a high speed game where fps is a huge deal and evasion is everything, to me this is 100% evident in my experience so dont bother trying to argue i wont change my mind on this. so having a decent screen is very important, duel is optional and easily upgradeable.

low end USB only headphones with a microphone on it is better than a high bass headphone as everything is crisp and u can distinguish all sounds, with a soundcard u can hear all the hidden sounds a developer may have put in the game like EAX and shit which PR has. the only thing that is better than this if u can find it, its very rare but veeerry good! headphones with bass vibration or force feedback as the sounds u hear kinda vibrate which ur ears are very very sensitive to(the vibrationg gives a MASSSIVE increase in bass without actually making a bassy sound in the speaker), and u can feel the enemies footsteps and shit like a 6th sense its an amazing thing, too bad mine broke FUCK!!! cant find another pair but iv seen a couple types around.

and make sure the surface which ur mouse goes on is extremely not grip, either a wooden table, the liner in the bottom of a coles bag cut into a mouse pad, or a actual non grip hard mouse pad from a computer shop, all work just as good.

anyways all my computers i make sure have all this shit, its saved HEAPS of money building it urself and any problems has warranty on all parts, and duty of care on the CPU and mobo being prefit for u, most of the tips in this is for "pro gamer" anything less will frustrate alot of fast pace or fps gamer types coz u will never get to ur highest potential. if u want a better gaming experience u can buy all the overly expensive and wank features on everything but even if it looks are feels awsome ull never have fun unless ur doing well in a game.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:12:12 PM by FlatkinG »
Perfectionist.

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »
Ahhh flat you're an odd one.

might as well get sata 3 6.0gb/s hard drive since its.the new standard. don't listen to him about getting a small drive lol. if you listen for odd noises and watch for corrupted sectors making directories take ages to load you'll have plenty of warning to get a new.drive before the old one fails. maybe not grab the newest capacity out there (3tb) as.an early adopter if.you want to play it safe.

also as you can see from the charts I've posted there Intel is the price/performance CPU king anywhere but the lowest end and has been for about four or five years.

Soulrogue

• Global Moderator

• =]UG[= Mod

• Personal Text
    Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
Yeah just as a side note, AMD no longer really compete with intel at a high end range anyway. unless they've stepped up their game in the last month or so.

Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.
Gen. George S Patton

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
yeah i havnt seen amd for a few years, but when i was putting my last comp together was still around, yeah nah ill never get terrabyte HDDs, even if it lasts ages its just alot of info u can loose that u cant get back. its just a personal thing i do so in the event of a failure i can cut it down to smaller sectors physically aswell as partitions. think of it like taking a convoy of tanks to battle rather than 1 big big tank, but then again what ever a standard is lately i guess that would have proven itself by now. 3TB .... well if i needed that id get 3 X 1TB HDD's at most
at the mo i got 600GB chopped up into partitions, and 2 500GB externals for movies and music for the entertaining room
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:37:08 AM by FlatkinG »
Perfectionist.

Nasty

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
eh 4tb of storage atm nearly full.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
flatkings save money tips:
dont by complete packages.

dont by from harvey norman or big companies like that as they charge a huge commission rate and advertising percentage ontop of normal prices look for small time computer shops that is run by computer techs NOT salesmen.

buy parts and put it together urself.

any mobo with lots of ports and options for new and/old.

^ Yeah pretty much agree with everything there

cpu is usually the most expensive fragile thing so buy that with the mobo and get them to put it on for u to save any risk in damages or incompatibilities, if they put it on they have to fix it if it doesnt work... Intel CPU = cooler and bit less performance but reliable, AMD = high output but runs a bit hotter and will handle alot more than it should but is not as reliable as intel but still very reliable especially in recent days, if u sport alot of cooling features amd is fine(eg. cooler case or lots of fans) and be reasonable when overclocking, not pushed to its max....
Yeah not so Much. GFX card will probably be your most expensive part esp if you go with AMD. However Intel are really setting the benchmark
for processors atm. As with Soul's post down there. And yes buy Mobo and processor together.

buy high end RAM chips all the same frequencies.

Yeah you will probably just buy an 8 gig Kit up for a couple of hundred.

look up graphics card benchmarks, find the best of the low range because it might show that its near high end but u save a few hundred dollars so ur not paying for wasted features which only give u like 5% increase in output or something fuck all, also Nvidia cards have always lasted a million times longer then radeon cards and are way more compatible to most things so that is recommended.

Again Radeon have often been the frontrunner they were overtaken with the GTx Series however Radeon have the best new gen cards.

OMG i feel too nerdy now i have to ... well tbh i have to go put on a new uniform to take down a flag :(.

FlatkinG

• Administrator

• =]UG[= Admin

• Personal Text
    Colonel
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »
radeon always win benchmarks but always lose in reliability by a long shot
Perfectionist.

Darksealicous

• Full Clan Member

• Personal Text
    Corporal
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:05 AM »
I think this new generation of Gfx cards is really too early to tell. I would generally agree otherwise. Radeon are
such much better value for money atm.